How to Install a Printer Without CD
Installing a printer is easy enough but if you have lost the CD that came with the printer then it could turn out to be a frustrating task. Well there is a way to install the printer without the CD. The only thing you need to know is the correct printer model number and the name of the manufacturer.
Here are the steps to install a printer without the CD:
1) To begin with you need to make sure that the printer and the computer are not connected to each other and are switched off.
2) Turn the computer on. Do not do anything till the computer finishes its bootup process.
3) Next connect the printer to the USB port of the computer. Then switch on the printer. Normally Windows will detect any plug and play devices and attempt to install the device on its own. However if the installation doesn’t happen then proceed with the next steps.
4) Click on the “Start” button and select “Control Panel”.
5) In the control panel, select the “Printer” button which is located under “Printers and Hardware” or “Hardware and Sound” category.
6) Once you are inside the Printer category, click on “Add Printer” button. The “Add Printer” wizard will pop up with the message “Welcome to the add printer wizard”. Click on the “Next” button.
7) In the next screen, select the option “Automatically detect and install plug and play printer”. Click on the “Next” button.
8) Now the computer will try to detect the printer that you have just connected. If the detection is successful, it will automatically install the printer and you do not need to do anything else. However if you get a message that no printer was detected, you need to install the printer manually. Click on the “Next” button if you see this message.
9) Next you need to select the printer port. Choose the correct port where your printer is connected so that the computer can install the printer correctly. Click the “Next” button.
10) Next you need to select the printer manufacturer and the exact model number. It is important that you choose the correct model number or else your printer will not be installed correctly. Click on the “Next” button.
Note – If you cannot see your printer model number in the list then you need to download the driver from the manufacturer’s website. In such cases download the driver and then click on “Have Disk” option and proceed ahead.
11) Next you will get a dialog box that will allow you to confirm or change the name of the printer. You can also make the printer the default printer for the computer. Click the “Next” button.
12) In the next screen you can print a test page to see if the printer is installed and working correctly. Print a test page and see the result. If you are satisfied with the result, click on the “Next” button.
13) Your printer installation is complete and all you need to do now is to click on “Finish” button.
There you are, you have installed a printer without its CD successfully.